Career training for a job in the medical assistant field
In this hands-on healthcare job training program, you’ll get the skills you need to start your career as a medical assistant. Learn in work setting as you perform administrative and clinical duties, including taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, drawing blood, scheduling, and preparing patients for examination. You’ll also complete an externship at an actual medical clinic or hospital to apply and reinforce the skills you’ve learned. Once you graduate, we’ll help you find a job in the medical field.
What you’ll learn in the job training program for Medical Assistant:
- Introduction to Allied Healthcare for Medical Assisting
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Receptionist & Clerical Procedures
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Anatomy & Physiology II
- Clinical Laboratory Practicum Level I
- Clinical Laboratory Practicum Level II
- Handling Medical Emergencies
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Basic Computers
- Customer Service
- Job preparation, including interview and resume skills
Why Say Yes to CET
& still counting:
Time to complete
a typical program:
Before CET$9.50per hour
After CET$15.00per hour
Before CET$10.00per hour
After CET$17.00per hour
Medical Assistant Program
Before CET$8.00per hour
After CET$20.50per hour
Before CET$8.50per hour
After CET$13.00per hour
Say yes to CET Medical Assistant!
|New career in 8-9 months?*||yes!|
|Job Placement Assistance?||yes!|
|Financial Aid Assistance for those who qualify?||yes!|
|Training supplies, tools, books and scrubs included in tuition**?||yes!|
*Average program length based on attendance. ** Subject to change without notice.
FAQ about the medical assistant job training program:
- Where do the Medical Assistant job training classes take place?
- Train for a job as a medical assistant on CET’s campuses in 5 locations throughout California, including Oxnard, San Diego, San Jose, and Santa Maria. In addition to the classroom learning, you’ll have access to a fully stocked medical lab for hands-on learning. Programs now available in Salinas, CA, Watsonville, CA. Evening schedules in Oxnard, Santa Maria and Watsonville, CA.
- How long does it take to finish the medical assistant job training program?
- With 30 hours a week of attendance, students usually finish the 900 hour program in 8-9 months.
- When does the next medical assistant class start?
- Right now! CET’s open enrollment means once your application is completed you can start the next day.
- What types of jobs in health care can I find after I graduate?
- When you’re trained as a medical assistant, you’re qualified for a variety of jobs in the medical assistant field, including:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Chiropractor Assistant
- Clinical Assistant
- Doctor's Assistant
- Medical Assistant (MA)
- Medical Office Assistant
- Ophthalmic Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optometric Technician
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA)
- How soon after graduation will I start working as a medical assistant?
- Every student’s experience is different, but according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the occupation of medical assistant has a higher than average job growth. To see what the job outlook is like for medical assistants where you live, go to onetonline.org and plug in your state in the section for “Wages and Employment Trends.” And with CET’s job placement assistance, you will always have ready help to find the right job.
- What can I expect to make as a medical assistant?
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics shared this information (see below) about what people can make as a medical assistant. Remember that this is only an average- depending on where you live, the wages can be higher or lower. To see how much medical assistants earn in your region, go to onetonline.org and plug in your state in the section for “Wages and Employment Trends.” National Wages & Employment Trends* For Medical Assistants
Median wages 2017 $15.61 hourly, $32,480 annual Employment 2016 634,000 employees Projected job openings 2016-2026 94,900
*Data as of August 2018. For additional information, including details on associated occupations, national and state wage and employment statistics, go to onetonline.org.
- How much does it cost and how can I pay for the Medical Assistant job training program?
- It costs $14,249, including training supplies, medical kit, books, and scrubs. If you qualify for financial aid, you may be eligible to receive grants, scholarships and/or federal student loans.
- What if I didn’t graduate from high school or don’t have my GED?
- At CET you may have options without them. Be sure to tell the Admissions Department so they can guide you through the eligibility process.
- How big are the medical assistant classes?
- Class size is approximately 20-25 students and varies by the type of program.
- Do you provide any healthcare certificates needed by employers?
- The Medical Assistant Program prepares you for the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) certification. RMA certification demonstrates to employers that you have the skills needed to get a job as a medical assistant.
- What do I need to get started with this hands-on healthcare job training program? Are there any high school math classes I need to get started?
- No. Students are provided with basic skills instruction that includes English and math. Additional one on one tutoring is available if needed by the student.
- CET is national, but what about the graduation and job placement rates for Medical Assistants in my CET location?
- Good question! When you’re making decisions about your future, it’s important to be as informed as possible. To see statistics about CET’s program performance, click on the CET location below to access the Federal Student Right to Know and State Program Performance Fact Sheets.*.
Remember- we’re here to help. Contact your local CET Admissions Department for additional information or assistance. Medical Assistant is offered at the following locations:
- Oxnard, CA - evening class available
- Salinas, CA
- San Diego, CA - evening class available
- San Jose, CA
- Santa Maria, CA - evening class available
- Watsonville, CA - evening class only
*Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industry. Links to non-CET sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.