Job training program in green construction
In this construction career training program, you’ll learn green building skills from the ground up. You’ll learn about recycled, low-impact and new efficient products, including basic photovoltaics (solar panels). You’ll get both the theory and hands-on learning of green building construction skills. In addition to green skills, you’ll review health and safety standards. And by the time you graduate, you’ll know about the energy systems in a home and what factors impact comfort and efficiency. Getting certified with green building construction skills will help you learn the skills needed for today’s energy efficiency standards. Once you graduate, we will help you find a job in the green building construction field.
What you’ll learn in the green building construction skills job training program:
- Site Safety
- Applied Math
- Rough Carpentry
- Electrical Skills I & II
- Plumbing Skills I & II
- Exterior & Interior Finish
- Basic Photo-voltaics
- OSHA-based safety standards
- Job preparation, including interview and resume skills
Why Say Yes to CET
& still counting:
Time to complete
a typical program:
Say yes to CET Green Building Construction Skills!
|New career in 8-9 months?*||yes!|
|Job Placement Assistance?||yes!|
|Financial Aid Assistance for those who qualify?||yes!|
|Training supplies, tools, books and uniforms included in tuition?**||yes!|
* Average program length based on attendance. ** Subject to change without notice.
FAQ about green building construction skills job training program:
- Where do the Building Maintenance job training classes take place?
- Where does the class meet for the green building construction skills job training program? On CET’s campuses throughout California, including: Coachella, Colton, El Centro, Oxnard, San Diego, Sacramento, San Jose, Santa Maria, Soledad, and Watsonville. In addition to the classroom learning, you’ll have access to a fully working facilities and construction lab, working on hand-on projects like framing, plumbing, electrical, drywall, troubleshooting and repairing small appliances and photo-voltaic systems.
- How long does it take to finish the green building construction skills job training program?
- Our full-time programs require 30 hours a week of attendance. Students usually finish the 900 hour program in 8-9 months.
- When does the next green building construction class start?
- Right now! CET’s open enrollment means once your application is completed you can start the next day.
- What types of jobs in construction can I find after I graduate?
- When you’re trained with green building construction skills, you’re qualified for a variety of entry-level jobs, including:
- Maintenance Technician
- Building Maintenance Mechanic
- Building Mechanic
- Maintenance Worker
- Building Equipment Operator (BEO)
- Facilities Maintenance Technician
- General Maintenance Mechanic
- Maintenance Helper
- Plumbing helper-installer
- Carpenter (construction) helper
- Electrician helper
- Plumber helper
- Solar energy systems installer
- How soon after graduation will I start working in construction?
- Every student’s experience is different, but according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the green building construction industry has a higher than average job growth. To see what the job outlook is like for green construction where you live, go to onetonline.org and plug in your state in the section for “Wages and Employment Trends.” And with CET’s job placement assistance, you will always have ready help to find the right job.
- What can I expect to make in the green building construction field?
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics shared this information (see below) about what people can make as a maintenance worker. Remember that this is only an average- depending on where you live, the wages can be higher or lower. To see how much maintenance workers earn in your region, go to onetonline.org and plug in your state in the section for “Wages and Employment Trends.” National Wages & Employment Trends* For Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
Median wages 2017 $18.81 hourly, $37,670 annual Employment 2016 1,433,000 employees Projected job openings 2016-2026 154,700
*Data as of August 2018. For additional information, including details on associated occupations, national and state wage and employment statistics, go to onetonline.org.
- How much does it cost and how can I pay for the Green Building Construction Skills job training program?
- It costs $12,954 including your training supplies, books, tools and uniforms. If you qualify for financial aid, you may be eligible to receive grants, scholarships and/or federal student loans.
- What if I didn’t graduate from high school or don’t have my GED?
- At CET you may have options without them. Be sure to tell the Admissions Department so they can guide you through the eligibility process.
- How big are the classes?
- Class size is approximately 20-25 students and varies by the type of program.
- Do you provide any certificates needed by employers?
- The Green Building Construction Skills certificate certifies to an employer that you are ready for an entry level position in green construction. CET facilitates your ability to be prepared to take additional certification exams. For example, the program can prepare you for certifications such as the NABCEP entry level exam or certification exams in BPI’s Energy Auditor and Envelope/Shell Pro and ESCO's Green Awareness. You can learn more about these additional certifications on the individual websites or ask Admissions for more information.
- What do I need to get started? Are there any high school math classes I need to get started?
- No. You’ll be provided with basic skills instruction that includes vocational English and math. Additional one on one tutoring is available, if needed.
- CET is national, but what about the graduation and job placement rates for Green Building Construction Skills my CET location?
- Good question! When you’re making decisions about your future, it’s important to be as informed as possible. To see statistics about CET’s program performance, click on the CET location below to access the Federal Student Right to Know and State Program Performance Fact Sheets.*.
Remember- we’re here to help. Contact your local CET Admissions Department for additional information or assistance. Green Building Construction is offered at the following locations:
- Coachella, CA - Evening Program Available
- Colton, CA
- El Centro, CA
- Oxnard, CA
- San Diego, CA
- San Jose, CA
- Santa Maria, CA
- Soledad, CA
- Watsonville, CA
*Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industry. Links to non-CET sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.