Farmworker Admissions

Center for Employment Training has been serving migrant and seasonal farmworkers since its founding in 1967. Inspired by the actions being taking by leaders like Cesar Chavez of the UFW and the social justice movement of the Catholic Church, CET’s founders saw a need to support farmworkers and others in need of training during a period of social and economic change. CET continues to advocate for farmworkers and is an active member of the Association of Farmworker Opportunity Programs (AFOP).

Congratulations on making a positive change for your future by deciding on job training. CET’s staff will be here to help you every step of the way. Before you enroll we’ll help see if you qualify for a special grant under the National Farmworker Jobs Program (NFJP). If you qualify and while you’re in school you may be eligible for supportive services. Once you graduate we’ll help you find work and follow your progress in the years to come.

Our admission process for farmworkers or dependents has just a specific information.  Here’s the basics, and we’d love to schedule a call with you to talk about your circumstances and how we can get you started.

How to Apply:

The first thing to do is to meet with an Admissions Advisor. You’ll discuss your interests and discover which program makes the most sense for you. Like all other students, the Advisor will go through tuition, tools & textbooks provided, and information about the school.  If you are applying for the NFJP grant, here’s what to expect.

You will discuss the details of the last two years of agricultural employment history. We’ll ask you specific questions such as the kind of work you did, if you worked seasonally or year-round.  If you are a dependent of a farmworker, the questions will be about your parent or spouse, it may also apply to other relatives as well.  We will get into more detail during the eligibility process.

If you qualify for the NFJP grant, you can meet with an Financial Aid Officer (FAO) but this is not a requirement.  (All other students are required to meet with the FAO.)

  • Meet with a Financial Aid Officer (FAO) and find out if you qualify for other federal financial aid such as Pell Grants. 

To get the most out of your first appointment at CET and for applying for the NFJP grant for agricultural workers and dependents, bring the following documents (all students are required to bring in similar documentation during the admissions process):

  • Proof of income which also shows work in agricultural industry and meet federal poverty guidelines.  The best thing to bring is the last two years of your Income Taxes and W2’s. We may also need paystubs, Worker’s comp, etc.  If you don’t have this available, come in and we’ll help you track down the documents you’ll need.
    • State Issued Identification Card (ID) or Driver’s License
    • Social Security Card
    • High School Diploma or GED or Foreign HS Equivalency. If you did not graduate or have a GED, you may still be eligible by taking the Ability to Benefit Test and co-enrolling in an Adult Education Career Pathways class (GED prep). There is also an additional testing option if English is not your first language.
    • If you are not a US Citizen and this is applicable, bring your Residency Card or DACA Card.
    • Proof of selective service registration (male participants).
  • Choose the program you want for your future career! After you select your program, and your eligibility is determined, we’ll set a start date.
  • Congratulations! You are enrolled. Your job training program starts right away.


How much does attending the school cost?
Costs per program vary. If you qualify for the NFJP grant, your tuition may be fully covered.

How long does it take to graduate?
On average, classes run from 6-9 months depending on the program you choose. 

What’s the class schedule?        
Classes are five days a week, which means you get through the program in under a year. If you choose a day program, you will most likely attend classes from 8am until 3pm or about seven hours with breaks.  If you choose an evening program, you can expect to start after 3pm and expect to attend about five hours with a break.

What if English is not my first language?
All materials and tests are in English.  But don’t worry. Many staff members and fellow students are bilingual. Your progress learning job-related English will be supported through our VESL (Vocational English as a Second Language) program.

What is open enrollment? 
Open enrollment simply means you can start any time of year once you have completed enrolled. We like to say when you are ready, so are we!

What types of industries can I be trained for?
We want you to succeed, so we train you for jobs where there’s expected to be continued growth, including:

How big are the classes?
Classes average 20-25 students and vary by program. Smaller classes mean you get more personal attention

Do you provide any certificates needed by employers?
All programs offer certificates that show employers that you are prepared for an entry level position. Programs can also prepare you for industry recognized certifications. Visit our program pages to learn more.

Do I have to have a minimum GPA to enroll and what GPA do I have to keep up to graduate?
There are no GPA requirements to attend. CET is competency-based. This means each skill is broken down into different parts. You don’t get a letter grade, you master a competency. The best thing is you get more than one chance to prove that you have gained the skills you need.

What if I didn’t graduate from high school or don’t have my GED?
At CET you may have options without them. Be sure to tell the Admissions Department so they can guide you through the eligibility process.

NFJP Program Statistics (Steven’s Amendment)

  • 100% of the total costs of the NFJP is financed with Federal money;
  • The dollar amount of Federal funds for this program is $8,567,933; and
  • 0% and $0.00 are the total costs of the project that will be financed by non-governmental sources.